Diapers: We switched to cloth diapers when Elijah was two months old and we love it! We did a week of disposables when we were given two big packs of smalls from a friend. At the rate Eli is growing, we needed to use them up quickly, so mommy had a week of no cloth diapers to wash. His little bum looks much bigger in the cloth diapers, but I love the cute patterns on the diaper covers. Since it was still quite hot for the majority of his second month, Elijah spent many days in just a cloth diaper when we were around the house. The cloth diapering is very easy to do – if you missed out the post about how it all works, you can read that here: The Switch to Cloth
|So many cute outfits – so little time!|
Ellijah had one really tough week (week 12), but as soon as week 13 arrived, he was back to his sunny disposition. That was the same week that Justin went back to school full-time, so it was quite a challenge week for all three of us!
|10 weeks old|
Trying to sit up on the couch at 10 weeks almost always resulted in him flopping over when he moved his legs. By 13 weeks his strength had dramatically improved…
|13 weeks old|
New this month: Eli is into his hands lately. At the beginning of the month he was sucking on them a lot, which led us to believe that he might be having some early teething discomfort. He is also salivating a lot!! Later in the month he started to reach for things. He loves to stretch out his arm and touch the black and white pole that runs over his rocking chair. I managed to get this on video the first day that he did it. I was so excited to see this development. He looked in the mirror and smiled at himself a couple of times this month. Eli comes with us to Saturday morning classes, and we are thankful that until he learns to crawl, we will be able to make this extra money because he is happy to sit in his chair for 3 hours while we teach. With some assistance Eli can almost sit up – we need only hold his one shoulder lightly. He has been smacking his lips and making a loud clicking sound, we are not sure why he has started doing this, but as with everything else, it is quite cute!
|“Helping” mom prepare for lessons|
Baby boy now stares at me while feeding. He even stops drinking to smile at me, which is the cutest thing. It seems like he can’t contain his happiness while he stares at me, and then his face lights up with joy when I smile back at him! I have waited many weeks for special moments like these!
We started the month with some nice night-time walks around our apartment complex, but by the end of the month the nights changed from cool to chilly. It seems that winter is on it’s way and this poor little guy has no sweaters for this in-between season that fit him. We may have to take him shopping soon.
|Making faces for Mommy|
Likes: funny faces, being carried around the house by dad, touching his ear (or mommy’s skin) while he feeds, laughter, black and white toy panda, being thrown up into the air, taxi rides, morning naps on his tummy, kissing with his mouth open (haha), and clicking sounds.
Dislikes: The sound of the blender, and being hungry.
Milestones this Month:
– Elijah started off the month with his first 10 hour stretch of sleep;
– Reaching and grabbing [the black and white pole on his chair (11 weeks), patterns on mommy’s shirt (12 weeks), his toes (12 weeks), the blanket over his legs (12 weeks)];
– Daddy and son left the house at 11 weeks, for about 10 minutes, to meet someone downstairs. As crazy as this sounds, that was the furthest that Eli and I have ever been apart from each other since his birth!
– Around 11 weeks Elijah started responding to a toy being held up in front of him. His black and white panda from Aunty Jessica is now his most favourite toy.
– We always hold him up in front of the mirror so that he can look at himself. This month he started occasionally smiling at his reflection. We are not sure he recognises that it is his own face, but he is definitely reacting now whereas he did not before.
|Fun on Family dates|
Fun Activities this Month:
– Family lunch dates;
– Chinese BBQ with friends;
– Watching daddy play soccer;
– Night walks around our complex;
– Visting friends during the day.
|View from Eli’s nursery: Great weather = Night time walks|
Fun Things we are Looking Forward to:
– Our first family vacation is coming up next week;
– Elijah’s first swim… and it will be his first time in the ocean as well;
– Little man will travel to a new country for the first time;
– Elijah should be sitting, unassisted, soon;
– We will be visiting a wine farm this weekend;
– Next week is Justin’s birthday.