ELIJAH │ 3 Years Old
Three!!!! Our little man is three years old. I think the biggest shocker surrounding this age was the fact that Eli is no long considered a “toddler”. I still think of him as a baby (as I’m sure I always will) and suddenly, he is a a PRESCHOOLER! I have to admit, I didn’t know this. I thought about it randomly just before his birthday. Is Eli still a toddler after his third birthday? I looked it up, and found out that he is, in fact, now in the preschooler stage!! Ahhhhhh.
There are a number of birthday related posts, but this one is dedicated specially to his update. I love these updates because they allow us to look back at each stage, and remember the joys, the struggles, and the victories. Thankfully, I was on top of my game, and I wrote these out as the months progressed. Life has been so busy lately, that I don’t think I would have remembered all of these in one sitting.
Height: 95 cm │ Weight: 28 lbs
**10cm height and 4.4 lbs weight increase since his 2nd birthday
ELIJAH 31 Months
- Eli enjoyed helping our students make Christmas cookies, but he is still not totally into this sort of hands-on activity. It seemed that next Christmas will be the prefect time for cookie making (and eating) .
- He has never really shown but interest towards babies. The first time I saw Eli being “soft and loving” (or even notice) a baby, was at, Jonathan’s newborn shoot. Check out this link to see how he reacted: Eli Meets a Newborn.
- On Christmas, Eli sat with Chloe, showed openness towards others, and played on bed with other kids. We haven’t been in many situations like this, but we did notice a big shift away from him playing alone in another room. It brought us much joy to seeing him “being one of the kids”.
- Justin and Eli accompanied me on a photoshoot, and then we all went for a lunch with the family I had photographed.
- At the end of Eli’s 31st month, we left for our Australia – New Zealand adventure.
ELIJAH 32 Months
- What a month for Eli – entirely spent traveling, and on the road! We spent a week relaxing in Sydney and then three weeks of exploring New Zealand. This was another absolutely amazing road trip, and we loved all of the amazing sights!
- Road trip observations: Eli was different on this trip, compared to the European road trip. He didn’t cry about being in the car seat, and was actually quite excited to get in it sometimes. While we were away, he learned A LOT on his iPad – once again – but we did give it to him less because he was quite content to play and read. With a container of toys, he had plenty to keep him occupied. He would throw them all out onto the floor below him as he was done with it. Each time we made a stop somewhere, we would reposition the toys next to him.
- When we arrived back in China and put him to bed, he slipped right back into routine. It was like we had never left!
ELIJAH 33 Months
- We met with Dylan and his family, and agreed to start homeschooling him everyday, Monday to Friday, for 4 hours a day. Dylan quickly became the big brother in our house. The relationship between Dylan and Eli flourished, and the often played together, making forts and car ramps. Very cute! Dylan would help me prepare food for Eli, feed him, and watch over him.
- This month Justin and Eli went with me to another shoot, and then afterwards we went on a family date. We went for sushi at Raki Sushi, but Eli wouldn’t sit still so it wasn’t as relaxing as we would have hoped. We ended up cutting our loses and leaving shortly after our meal was done.
- Eli started to follow instructions and listen more. He gets his chair, washes his hands, and also brushes his teeth happily at night (this was a struggle at one point).
- Sometime during his 33rd month, Eli started to mimic words, but very softly and under his breath. One afternoon, while in the kitchen with him, I clearly heard him say “yogurt”. I was shocked, so I asked him to repeat it, but he wouldn’t. It seems he is a child who wants to make sure he can talk before he talks. This used to worry me, but it no longer does. Elijah James marches to the beat of his own drum — And I love him this way!!!
- He really loves when daddy comes home – the joy on his face is just too adorable for words.
ELIJAH 34 Months
- Eli LOVES reading lately. At bedtime, nap-time, or even just sitting along in the lounge. He sits with his legs straight and pages through the books. I don’t know what it is about the way that he sits, but its is just too cute! He is in his own little word – turning the pages, studying all the details, and mumbling as he goes. It is quite a joy to watch him.
- CURRENT FAVORITES: Dinosaur face stickers, coloring in, playing (anything) and flash cards.
- He often sits and plays with his wooden train set on the floor next to the dining room table, while Dylan and I study.
- This month: SO MANY new words and repetitions this month. With every single word – we celebrate!
- Eli found the potty training book and he is interested, but doesn’t respond well with pushing. He wanted to copy the boy in the book and stand next to the potty. He even removes his socks, like the character in the story, but anymore than that, and he backs off. I love that he is showing an interest, but he doesn’t seem ready yet.
- He kisses me everytime I say “I love you”.
- His new kiss is so cute… hard to describe, but he puckers up his lips and makes a funny sound… “mwaaahh”
- Books books books… Same three books every nap-time and bedtime: Three Little Pigs, The Musicians of Bremen, and The Gingerbread Man.
- Even at this age – Eli still absolutely loves (and needs) naps. Often we have to wake him after a four hour nap, and he will still go to sleep at 7/7:30 for bedtime. INSANE! Sometimes we hear him playing in his crib during the night, so we aren’t always sure he sleeps right through the night, but he is happy to stay in his bed.
- The BIG SHOCKER this month: Swallowed a coin! Definitely the scariest thing that has EVER happened to us!
ELIJAH 35 Months
- Unbelievable changes in character this month – And all for the better!! Eli is listening more and showing a much greater understanding of what we are saying. He is taking more initiative, and genuinely seems to want to please us.
- He follows simple instructions: Clean up, Wash your hands, Brush your teeth, Put on your shoes, etc.
- Eli has always been very independent, but this month he started to “need me” more. I felt guilty about this because I had Dylan with me for a huge portion of the day. If Eli had always been needy, I never would have taken on the homeschooling. Was one a direct result of the other, I have no idea. I tried to involve Eli in my teaching, and take both Dylan and Eli outside whenever I could.
- When we are outside, Eli no longer runs away from us as much as he used to. This was a huge struggle for us in the past.
- This month Eli fell a busted open his lip, in THREE spots. Dylan and I rushed Eli to the hospital where he flat out refused to get any stitches. You can read about that scare here: First stitches… but NOT!
- This month was amazing for listening – Eli was obeying so well outside. He stopped running away, and disappearing into the trees. When we called his name, he would stop and wait for us.
- New words everyday… but still not regularly talking or using his words in sentences. He still prefers to ask for things through action, or just go without. He is definitely a very low-maintenance type of child.
- Eli can now ride on the push-scooter, but gets bored quickly and then leaves it.
- He puts his dishes in the sink without being asked, gets his bowl at breakfast time, and throws the yogurt box in the trash, when done. He also gets on a chair and gets the Peanut Butter when he wants a snack!
- During the second week of May, he started saying phrases, like “here you go”, “okay mama”, “yes mama”. SUPER CUTE!
- Dylan and I tried to count Eli’s words… We got to about 1o0, but then realized he was saying more and more. It was just too hard to keep track of it. For his age, he “should be” at about 1000. Hence my previous worry… Now, Im not worried at all! It is clear that he is leaning and developing, and I wouldn’t have him any other way.
- Playing outside is been a big hit lately.
ELIJAH 36 Months
- Sweet boy now listens to the “1,2,3” warning. He didn’t before, but suddenly he understands it means business, and he reacts before we reach three. WOW… AMAZING!
- Eli got his First backpack, and he loved it so much that one day he insisted on napping while wearing it.
- He used to cry when we took his toys out of his hand for bed, but he stopped that during this month.
- Justin went to the States to write some teaching exams, and Eli was completely thrown off. Good vibes gone – he kept saying no, covering eyes, not wanting to eat, and not falling asleep at naps. It is clear that this boy very much loves his daddy, and he didn’t understand why daddy was gone.
- Eli is completely crazy about “bore” (a big teddy bear that he sleeps with)
- We have our flights booked to South Africa for quite some time, but we haven’t officially announced the news yet. We are going to see “Oupie Moose” for his 60th!!! Eli can now say a range of names, but the BEST one is “Oupie Moot”, he says that one with great joy and happiness.
- Eli now sits so nicely in the back of taxis – he puts his legs straight, and keeps his back against the back of the seat. For a while he insisted on sitting on the floor (which is incredibly dirty here in China), but thankfully not anymore.
- Little man is using longer words and phrases like “mountain”, “here you go”, and “Are you okay?”
- This month, Eli is following directions/instructions very well.
- He tries to take off and put on his clothes, shoes, and loves wearing sunglasses.
- We love how he plays happily, reads books, and sings songs on tv. He has learned the vowels, and phonetic sounds for each letter, and a few new songs from the shows we found online for him. His response to technological programs is amazing.
- This month, I found Eli on a stool, brushing his teeth with daddy’s toothbrush, and singing “Mr Sun sun, mr golden sun.
- At his third birthday party, we supplied a bunch of playdough for the kids to play with. Eli gave it at try – and he is now hooked! He loves to make shapes, roll it out, cut it, and write on it.
- He is getting so tall, and we love his little brown tanned knees. Although he still fits into a bunch of his 18 month clothes, he quickly out grew his 2T jammies so we had to buy him a bunch of new winter things to take to South Africa in July.
- In the weeks leading up to his third birthday, we taught Eli to say that he was three (“I’m free”), and show three fingers. We also had to teach him how to sing “Happy Birthday to you” and blow out candles (we practiced a few times) — which really paid off at his party when he got super excited about the whole process.
ELIJAH PHOTO SHOOTS: