Here is another amazing Thai dish that we made during our full-day of cooking classes at Smart Cooking Cookery School in Chiang Mai, Thailand. This recipe comes from the cookbook that we were given upon completing our day of cooking classes – ‘The Art of Thai Cooking, Authentic Thai Food’. Click on this link to see some of the other dishes that we made on this day: Thai Cookery School. This is definitely Justin’s favourite curry, and therefore he chose to learn how to make massaman curry paste too. Below you will find, firstly, a recipe for the Curry Paste, and secondly, a recipe for Chicken Massaman Curry.
How to make Massaman Curry Paste:
(For 2-3 people, depending how spicy you prefer your curry)
5 Red chilies, seeded and soaked
2 tbsp roasted chopped garlic
2 tbsp roasted chopped shallots
1 tbsp roasted chopped lemon grass
1 tsp roasted chopped galangal (Thai ginger)
1 tsp roasted coriander root
1/2 tsp roasted shrimp paste
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
1/2 tsp Cardamon
1/2 tsp Cumin
* Put all the dried ingredients in a mortar, pound until fine.
Add the remaining ingredients, pound into a fine paste.
Chicken Massaman Curry:
50g Chicken, cut into small pieces
3-4 Potatoes, cut into cubes
1-2 Onions, cut into cubes
1 tsp Massaman Curry Paste
1 cup Coconut Milk
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
1/2 tsp Palm Sugar
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1 tbsp Oil
– Heat oil on low, fry curry paste until fragrant, and then add 1/4 cup coconut milk.
– Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes, and then add the rest of the coconut milk.
– Add potato and onion, then season with fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind paste.
– Stir occasionally, allowing the potato to cook until soft, then turn off the heat.
– Serve with a portion of steamed white rice.
We bought a few bags of prepared massaman curry paste at a grocery store in Thailand. Here in China it is pretty easy to find coconut milk, so we make this dish whenever we feel like it. Sadly our massaman curry paste supply will run out soon, but it has been amazing to be able to keep making this authentic-tasting curry in our home.