That Time we Almost Burned Down Our Hotel Room.│So here’s an interesting story: On our last evening in Paris we almost set our room alight! We don’t smoke, and there were no faulty electric lines. This is what happened…
When we arrived at the Best Western in Paris, we had to move the room around. The pack ‘n play provided for Eli made it impossible for us to move around the room while he was sleeping. In the process of doing this, we noticed that the telephone – which was attached to the wall next to our bed – kept falling off the hook even when lightly bumped. Eli noticed this, and couldn’t stop picking up the phone, pushing buttons, and “talking”on the phone. We tried everything to keep that phone up, and away from him, because we didn’t want him accidentally calling the front office, or worse, some international number. haha… imagine the extra fees!
On our last evening he was particularly insistant on playing with the phone, so I placed it just above the wall mount, on a small ledge. Unfortunately the ledge was narrow, and the phone handle kept slipping off. There was a small lamp just between the ledge and the phone mount, so I balanced it between the ledge and the lamp. After that we didn’t think about it anymore.
We went to dinner, and as you do at a hotel, we simply grabbed our key card and pulled the door closed behind us. We didn’t even noticed that the lamp was still on, because at most hotels the electricity in the room cuts off when you pull the key card out of it’s holder near the door. We walked to a restaurant on the next block and sat down to eat for about an hour. During dinner we were discussing whether or not we should go out for the evening, or stay where we were to do some planning for our road trip. This was a very exciting time for us, and we were definitely in the best of moods! We eventually decided to stay where we were, and plan for where we should sleep once we started driving the next day. Justin ran back to the hotel to get our iPad. Eli was asleep in his stroller and we were sitting at a cute cafe. We didn’t want to waste this perfectly peaceful opportunity to do some road trip planning.
Ten minutes later I saw Justin walking back towards the table. His face was white! He sat down and look at me with a shocked look. “What? What’s wrong!?” I said urgently. He then began to explain. As he entered the hotel room, he was immediately hit by a strong burning smell. He searched the room, checking all of the outlets. He finally noticed the lamp, and then found the phone which had slipped onto the bulb. The phone had melted all over the lamp. The scary part is that the wires inside the phone were probably about three minutes away from touching the bulb. It was frightening to think what might have happened if those wires had reached the hot bulb.
We sat at that cafe, shocked but very thankful, talking about the “what ifs”. Imagine the room had caught alight and the hotel had a massive fire, what if people had got hurt, or even on a smaller scale, imagine just a small fire and all our stuff was burned. Our passports would be gone and our trip, which had only barely begun, would have been OVER! We were infinitely thankful… but still felt a little sick about how bad this situation could have been.
The hotel was amazing and they weren’t too concerned about what had happened. Does this kind of thing happen a lot?? They didn’t charge us, which was another fear of us. Since there was plastic all over the lamp and counter, we wondered how much this accident would cost us. We were so grateful for the hotel’s kindness in this matter.
Can you imagine our whole trip ending on the very first city?